We have a history
Mas de l’Abundància is located in the region of Priorat (Tarragona) and belongs to the D.O. Montsant. Until the disentailment, in the 1830s, it was property of the Prior of Scala Dei (the estate still preserves three magnificent boundary markers built in the 1790). It had previously belonged to the Dukes of Cardona and Entenza, who gave it to the Prior on the 27th January of 1727. It always was a self-sufficient country estate, planted with vines, olive trees and a vegetable garden for its own subsistence.
The estate owes its name, since the fifteenth century, to the excellent geographical location and to the quantity and quality of its products. The soil type is “llicorella” (Tertiarycoal) and “panal” (alluvium from the Quaternary). It has its own spring water and is located between the Siurana River and the old village of Les Pinyeres, place of country worship, where from immemorial times the virgin of the same name is revered.
The current winery was created in 2002 by the family del Rio Mateu with the dream of returning to the origins and carry on an unbroken family tradition for generations, with the desire of producing a wine of “terroir”. From the beginning the objectives were effort, faithful dedication to the cultivation of the vine and extreme care in the winemaking process.